The Last Two Days in The Gredos Mountains. 21st & 22nd May 2018

Yellow (Spanish) Wagtail, Plataforma De Gredos
 
May 21st
Up early today. It was quite cool and refreshing outside. The wooded valleys were hidden in a low mist and the roads were very quiet.
Rush hour at the Parador De Gredos. Rock Buntings were nesting in the wall on the left of the photo.
 
I made my way into the mountains a different way, following the Tormes River along the valley from Navarredonda to the crossroads at Puente Del Duque. A look into some woods by the Navagredos campsite produced four Citril Finches and Western Bonelli's Warbler. Further on I came across a "trip tick". A very smart, male, Red-backed Shrike holding territory.
Further on, at the scenic Chorreras waterfall, I had my second Iberian Green Woodpecker fly off the road in front of the car. Heading towards Puente del Duque I found a pair of Great Spotted Woodpeckers feeding on Ants. Imagine the surprise when a Wryneck dropped in briefly. A very good bird in these parts.
Western Bonelli's Warbler
Red-backed Shrike
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Las Chorreras
I then drove up to the Plataforma noting that yesterdays Black-eared Wheatear was still present. I also had my only Rock Petronia of the trip and 3 Citril Finches drinking from a pool. A pair of Red-backed Shrikes, Sparrowhawk, Hoopoe and Iberiae Yellow Wagtail also showed themselves.
Hoopoe through the windscreen
Iberiae (Spanish) Yellow Wagtail
 
At the top car park things had changed. Rock and Ortolan Buntings were harder to see and the Rufous-tailed Rock Thrush was at the very top of the cliffs. It was while watching the Rock Thrush that another new bird landed next to it. An Alpine Accentor! Unexpected.
Northern Wheatear, Crag Martin and Dunnock, of the race modularis, were everywhere as were Common Whitethroat.
Crag Martin on nest in the car park shelter
Dunnock, ssp. modularis
Narcissi sp. were everywhere on the high slopes.
I then went to the picnic site by the Rio Tormes at Puente del Duque, stopping for two raptors along the way. Pale morph Booted Eagle and a Short-toed Eagle.

Booted Eagle, pale morph
Short-toed Eagle
At the picnic site there were Short-toed Treecreeper, Robin, Wren, Pied Flycatcher, Nuthatch and hundreds of Common Crossbills. I decided to look for reptiles and amphibians and came up with Iberian Wall Lizard, Schreiber's Green Lizard and Iberian Stream Frog. It was then back to the hotel with a quick stop to look at some amazing looking Moroccan Orange-tips.
Juvenile Common Crossbill
Iberian Stream Frog

Iberian Wall Lizard
Now, let's meet the Schreiber's......
Dad
Mum
The Loving Couple
...and the children...
"Bobby"
"Sue"
Schreiber's Green Lizards

Moroccan Orange-tip, female
May 22nd 2018
My last day in Spain. I had enough time to spend half a day birding and then journey to the airport for my 22:30 flight to Luton. More on that later.
I basically followed the same route as yesterday. The Red-backed Shrike was still in his place in the valley. A Coal Tit was discovered nesting in a wall by the roadside.
At Puente del Duque I saw another two Citril Finches and a shed load of Crossbills. Roe Deer was a new mammal.  I played a bit of "Rock Lottery" and found a new amphibian, Iberian Midwife Toad and Iberian Wall Lizard.


Great Spotted Woodpecker
Iberian Wall Lizard
Iberian Midwife Toad
Driving up to Plataforma produced nothing new except, near the top, when a small herd of Iberian Ibex were stood in the road. A large male, totally unafraid, and with a "one more step and I'll have you" look in his eyes, stood slightly up the slope. What a Beast!
Iberian Ibex, female
Iberian Ibex, male

At the car park birds appeared to be quite scarce except for the local nesters. However, I did manage to see the Rock Thrush for the last time.
Rufous-tailed Rock Thrush. Stunning.
Northern Wheatear ssp. libanotica
Finally it was time to head for the airport. A fine Red Squirrel saw me off with little fanfare.
Red Squirrel

The drive to the airport was uneventful except my daft Satnav doesn't pay attention to the instructions it is given. I now know the Spanish for "Toll Road",  "you silly man" and "Go forth". The last two may be paraphrased. My Satnav then proceeded to get lost in the maze the locals called "The Airport".
My final birds were two new ones for the trip. Monk Parakeet and Common Starling.
To cap it all off the French ATC's were on strike yet again and my flight was the only EasyJet flight out of six that might take off. It did...FIVE HOURS LATE. I was knackered and I fell asleep the moment I strapped myself in. I awoke when the Stewardess discreetly kicked my foot. Apparently my snoring was disturbing her safety talk!
We landed at Luton a few hours later. It was good to be reunited with my binoculars! I had left them in my car almost two weeks earlier. I had missed those battered old things.
I finally drove out of the airport and found a quiet pull over to have a nap. I woke six hours later.
I had to get a move on. I was off to Northumberland that night. Mad.

Comments

Translate