Extremadura 17th & 18th May (Road Trip South & Jaraicejo)

Mediterranean Scorpion, Belen (adult)
May 17th (Road Trip)
As the heading suggests, it was a mystery tour today, with lots of stops.
I first headed toward Zorita but turned off West at Herguijuela. A very quiet road with Dehesa woodland on both sides. Lots of common woodland birds such as Blue and Great Tits, Serin, Spotless Starling, Golden Oriole, Azure-winged Magpies and Hoopoe. It was nice to see the White Storks nesting in the top of the Cork Oaks. A pale morph Booted Eagle made a couple of inquisitory passes.
Booted Eagle, pale morph, Herguijuela

After 3 or 4 miles I headed South. Few birds showing though I did see 3 distant Great Bustards. The road took me to the EX102 West of Zorita and I followed it to Alcollarin and had a close look at the reservoir and nearby streams there. The reservoir had a few pairs of Gull-billed tern, Great Crested Grebe, Black-necked Grebe, Whiskered Tern, a single Avocet and several Egyptian Geese. There were also a few pairs of Little-ringed Plover displaying. 
Azure-winged Magpie
An "arty" White Stork
A look into the reed filled run-off channel produced Great Reed Warblers, Little Bittern and Golden Oriole nearby. Another Booted Eagle passed overhead.
Another pale Booted Eagle
Great Reed Warbler
Leaving Alcollarin I headed East, through Zorita, heading for Guadalupe and the Guadalupe Mountains. I did stop at a bridge over the Rio Ruecas about 1k East of CaƱamero. I had my first Iberian Green Woodpecker here, a distant Bonelli's Eagle around crags over the road. Blue Rock Thrush, Crag Martin, Alpine Swift and Melodious Warbler were also close by. A Dipper was on the river.
I was feeling poorly by the time I reached Guadalupe so I, right or wrong, decided not to go up to the old military base to look for Rufous-tailed Rock Thrush. I had a close encounter with a male Sardinian Warbler at a local garage however.

Sardinian Warbler, male
Guadalupe is a fantastic town, the viaduct and monastery are both amazing. It is surrounded by hills and wooded valleys. Beautiful and huge.
Guadalupe Viaduct
I left Guadalupe on the EX118 with mountains on either side. Crested Tit, Firecrest, Western Bonelli's Warbler and Goshawk were seen here. Above the crags were Griffons, another two Bonelli's Eagles and Golden Eagle. However, the stars here were the insects. I turned off the EX118 and drove toward Deleitosa. I stopped about 2k past Robledollano, where a wooded river runs under the road. Butterflies and moths were everywhere and included Southern Scarce Swallowtail, Burnet Companion, Clouded Yellow, Berger's Clouded Yellow, Mazarine Blue and Spanish Festoon. The only Damselfly was a Large Red Damselfly. Slow Worm was the only reptile. Melodious Warbler, Blackcap and Pied Flycatcher were in the woods.

Spanish Festoon
Portuguese Dappled White 
Mazarine Blue, male
Next stop was the Belen Plain, on the way back to the hotel. I was looking for a quiet spot off the beaten track but a few birds took my attention first. A fine Egyptian Vulture put on a good show as did Black-winged Stilt, Calandra Lark and Southern grey Shrike.

Egyptian Vulture, adult

Calandra Lark
The only Whinchat of the whole trip. A nice male.
I finally found a quiet area and took a short walk. Be careful when overturning stones. Your find might take exception to your presence. For example...

Mediterranean Scorpion
...Mediterranean Scorpion. My first ever wild scorpion. It was not as pleased to see me as I was to see it.
A large green lizard on the road was a brilliant Ocellated Lizard and did not mind me as much as the Scorpion did. I only saw one Dragonfly, a female Black-tailed Skimmer. Butterflies included Mazarine, Black-eyed, Green-underside and Osiris Blues, Sooty Copper and Spanish Marbled White. A single caterpillar was thought to be Aporophyla carescens. Knapweed grows everywhere in Extremadura; where else would you find Knapweed Fritillary?
Ocellated Lizard
Female Black-tailed Skimmer
Aporophyla carescens (?)
Spanish Marbled White


Knapweed Fritillary
It's my last full day in Extremadura tomorrow, before heading to the Gredos Mountains. I plan to spend most of the day near Jaraicejo after an early start at Belen.
 
18th May 2018 (Belen Plain and Jaraicejo heathland)
The skies were leaden and threatening as I headed out to my usual start at Belen steppes. There were loads of raptors about. Aside from the usual Black Kites, Buzzards and Griffons there were Booted Eagle and Lesser Kestrel plus female Marsh and Montague's Harriers. A pair of Collared Pratincoles were catching insects over the tall grass. I was watching the Montague's through the scope as it flew over two, previously unseen, Great Bustards. Scanning the grass I noted an, out of place, black lump. It turned out to be the head of a fine Little Bustard and showed distantly for a long while.
Little Bustard. The only, identifiable image I got. Nikon and 300ml lens via scope on 30x.
Next stop was the heath above Jaraicejo to look for my target...Spectacled Warbler. Plus what ever insects and beasts I could find. I got more than I bargained for.
I spent the rest of the day here but several hours were spent in the car sheltering from the torrential downpours. It's amazing how the wildlife just reappears afterwards.
Some great birds were seen including Dartford Warbler, Spectacled Warbler, Woodlark, Thekla's Lark, Short-toed Eagle, Western Orphean Warbler, Blue Rock Thrush, Southern Grey Shrike and Lesser Spotted Woodpecker. The heath has a small hidden valley full of Cork Oak. It was stuffed with birds.
Dartford Warbler, male
Thekla's Lark


Spectacled Warbler, male. Last bird of the day.

A few mammals were seen today. Iberian Hare, Red Deer and Red Fox all made an appearance.
 
 Red Fox
As for insects and other beasts; well it was a good old day. Turned over a few rocks and found mainly Ant nests but two rocks provided Mediterranean Scorpions and one produced a Scolopendra cingulata centipede. This beast was very scary and not to be messed with.
A small Mediterranean Scorpion with the remains of yesterdays meal
Scolopendra cingulata, "Escolopendra" in Spanish.
Thankfully there were some nice, gentle, harmless butterflies and moths to look at instead. Moths included Athroolopha pennigeraria (Serrated Jewel), Idaea cervantaria and Odezia atrata (Chimney Sweep).
Athroolopha pennigeraria, Serrated Jewel
Idaea cervantaria
The butterflies included Clouded Yellow f. helice, Queen of Spain Fritillary, Southern Brown Argus and Large Wall.

Clouded Yellow f. helice
Large Wall
Queen of Spain Fritillary
Southern Brown Argus
  Wild Gladiolus, Gladiolus illyricus
A fantastic day at Jaraicejo, especially watching the lightning striking the mountain tops of  Sierra de San Pedro and Las Villuercas in the distance.
Travelling to The Parador Hotel near Navarredonda de Gredos, tomorrow, for three days.
Can't wait but I'll be sorry to leave Hotel Peru and Extremadura.


Comments

Translate